It has almost been one year since I posted about how to Wake up Early and Consistently. I thought now might be a good time to post a follow up, including what I have personally found to work.

Let me first start by saying that waking up early has made a huge difference in my life. I used to be the complete opposite – late sleeper and late riser. These days, I wake up at 5:30am everyday.

What I like most about being an early riser is getting that extra quiet time in the mornings to work at a few next actions even before the day officially begins. Lately though, I’ve opted to go to work earlier, so that I can clock in my 8 hours, leave at a reasonable time and still have a few precious moments with my baby daughter before she heads off to bed. Being able to maximise my free time doing things I rather be doing has made all the difference to my quality of life.

Here is a list of things that worked for me:

1. Have a good reason to get up.

2. Be productive in the mornings.

It wasn’t enough to just be an early riser. If I had committed to waking up early for a reason, I’ve found it was crucial that I followed through. Not following through is like slow working poison. Over time, this has a cumulative effect and makes it harder and harder to rise early. This was a huge drain on motivation for me, especially when I was losing sleep and yet not getting the things I wanted to done. So stick to the plan and be productive.

3. Get enough sleep.

Your body is trying to tell you something if you constantly feel overly tired during the day. I’ve found it wasn’t really worthwhile trying to get up early if I didn’t get enough good sleep the night before. In the short term, I might get more discretionary time because I was sleeping less, which is good for coping with the spikes in workload. However, in the long term, things generally evened out – either because I was tired and couldn’t work as fast or I was sick as a result of a weakened immune system. My advice is to ensure you get enough sleep.

4. Go to bed earlier

One simple thing which helped me get enough sleep was to … well … go to bed earlier. Instead of constantly staying up past midnight and feeling tired the next morning, I now start preparing for bed around 11pm. I’ve found, around this time of night, I’m generally winding down anyway and not engaged in productive work. So shifting the hours around slightly has meant that overall my free time gets used more effectively – which is the primary reason for being an early riser! The amount of sleep needed is different from person to person and day to day. So, I listen to my body when it tells me that it is tired and it is time for bed.

5. Sleep more effectively.

The other thing I noticed about sleep is sleeping longer doesn’t necessarily translate to sleeping better. Somedays I can have 8 hours of sleep, yet feel like I haven’t slept at all. Other days I can be fully alert, productive and cheerful after only a few short hours.

If you find that you are still tired after a good stretch of 6-8 hours, chances are you’re not sleeping well. Most people just don’t need much more sleep than that. Sleeping well can be attained in various ways. I find having a good mattress and pillow with some quiet reading time before bed to be helpful.

6. No more another 10 mins.

I think everyone including me has two conflicting aspects to their personality. There’s the one which is good and generally seeks to self improve and be productive. Then there’s the other one – the little voice in the head urging us to sleep in for another 10 mins. I’ve learned the hard way that this little voice rarely has anything good to say. My advice is don’t ever have a discussion with him or indulge in anything he says! Sleeping in for another 10 mins is guaranteed to lead to another 10 mins and then another. The next time you hear that little voice, just say “No” out loud and …

7. Jump out of bed.

One trick I’ve found to be very effective in being an early riser and to stop myself from rationalising is to simply jump out of bed instantly. Once I am outside the comforts of the warm and cozy bed, I’m more likely to actually wake up and stay up. Someone once suggested to me by leaving the bedroom immediately, you also leave no doubt about your intentions to actually wake up and start doing things. Jumping out of bed and leaving the room actually works. They have prevented me from sleeping in on many a cold winter morning.

8. Use an alarm clock, just not the snooze.

Every day without fail, I wake up before the alarm goes off. I’m tempted to say setting it might not even be necessary! However, I take comfort in the knowledge that it’s there and waiting to go off, so I don’t have to worry about sleeping in. The trick with the alarm clock is to make it loud, annoying and not easily accessible. Try placing it away from arms reach, so that you can’t turn it off or get to the snooze button unless you get up out of bed. For me, this works wonders, because when it goes off, my wife and daughter are both still asleep and I instinctively try to get to it as quickly as possible.

9. Establish a stable routine.

What I recently learned from being a new dad is babies thrive on routine. My daughter now knows that bath time is followed by reading time and then bed time. Initially, she put up a fight resisting the bed. Now, she expects it!

In many ways, things are no different for us adults. I view the body as an instrument which can be trained. I’ve found establishing a consistent routine to be a key factor in becoming an early riser. This means waking up at same time everyday, not just the days I have to. This includes weekends, which typically aren’t as busy as the weekdays. Now, my body doesn’t even remember what it was like to sleep in and being a late riser.

10. Have something to look forward to.

Waking up early can be hard work, especially when you are used to sleeping in. Having a purpose is a good start, but this isn’t always enough. I mean, come one, are you really going to get up early to work on some TPS report for work? What I do in addition to having a purpose is to have a reward or other attractive incentive to get up for. It can be anything. I personally look forward to having time to check my emails in the morning, eat breakfast and drink a cup of tea.

11. Be aware of the consequences.

As I’ve written about previously, when faced with doing something we don’t want to do, we’re generally motivated not just by Pleasure, but also Pain. I’ve found that it was very effective to be aware of the consequences of sleeping in. For me, losing that extra 2 hours in the morning can have a significant flow on effect to my day and the rest of the week. Everytime I sleep in, I have to stay at work later and sacrifice quality time with my daughter in the evenings. This is something I clearly want to avoid, so being aware of this has been really effective in keeping me motivated when the alarm goes off.

12. Remove the option completely.

One trick I’ve found to work well also is removing the option of sleeping in completely. If we don’t have the option to sleep in, we won’t. The best way of doing this is schedule meetings and deadlines early in the mornings. This leaves one with no option at all but to get up because by the time the morning comes round, it is too late to cancel or reschedule a commitment. I’ve found this to be very effective because my actions now impact not just me but others as well.

13. Have a similarly motivated buddy.

Over the year, I have mentioned to various friends my desire to be a consistent early riser. Being encouraged by my example and results, they too have adopted the drive to be early risers. Not only is it gratifying to be helping others improve their productivity and quality of life, but having friends similarly committed helps keep me motivated and on track. Whenever we meet up, we always ask each other how we are doing with respect to being early risers. If anyone has fallen off the wagon, as a group we try to get them motivated again. Your spouse may be a good buddy even if only to kick you out of bed.

14. Keep track of your times.

Have you ever told yourself that you can sleep in just this once because you’ve already been good the whole week? I have. Unfortunately, my perception on how good I’ve been is subjective and often inaccurate. Sometimes I consider sleeping in because I feel that I’ve been good when in fact I’ve already slept in twice this week or six times this month. I’ve found keeping track of the days I have been good and not good to be immensely useful. I review this list periodically and whenever I find I’m falling behind, I use this list to renew my motivation and commitment.

15. Review all the things you got done.

I’ve written about the 10 R’s to success before. If you haven’t read that post, take a moment to do so. One of the more important R’s is Review which describes the importance of looking back on how successful you have been with your goals and what you’ve managed to accomplish. If things aren’t working out or the results weren’t as expected, then adjust your approach. Looking back at all the things you’ve managed to get done in the early mornings is a great motivator to keep you going.

Conclusions

Being an early riser is tough work, but I’ve managed to do it consistently. To be honest, I didn’t realise how hard it would be when I first started. I might not even have tried if I knew better in the beginning. However, I’m glad I did because the rewards are amazing. I get much more done now and my quality of life has improved.

If you want to be early risers yourselves, try out the tips I’ve highlighted. Some of them may not work for you, but I can bet that if you applied at least a few of these, you will see immediate results. Feel free to experiment and refine the process until you find a healthy balance you can sustain.

Good luck! Let me know how you go.

142 Responses to “Waking Up Early – 15 Tips That Work”

1. Jamy Kunjappu says:

Great Article Dave,

After reading your other related article this past March I have actually started to wake up earlier using some of the methods you described.

Although I haven’t been 100% successful I have seen great improvements. I will have to try positioning my alarm clock away from my bed, I really think this will help even more.

I think keeping a log is a good idea to… this may help one find out how many hours of sleep their body requires to perform at it’s optimum level.

thanks again!
    Jamy

2. Jennifer says:

This is all great advice for the one wanting to wake up earlier. Do you have any advice for use wanting to sleep in later? Oh….and how to get a 1 year old to sleep in later on that same note.

3. Ryan Fox says:

I’m really bad for sleeping in, even though I have class at 8:30AM. I’d been doing better until recently, I would wake up at 10AM and not remember turning off my alarm. It was even far enough away that I had to stretch to reach it! Now I’m trying with the alarm clock on the other side of the room.

Also, for quality of sleep, if you’re consistently feeling tired during the day, you might have sleep apnea. This is where you stop breathing periodically during your sleep, which wakes your body up slightly, resulting in poorer sleep. It’s often accompanied by snoring. Spouses, room mates, etc., might notice casually, but it should be pretty easy to detect if they try. I happen to have severe sleep apnea (I stop breathing ~75 times per hour!), which is why I mention it. There are sleep clinics that will hook you up to some computers and watch you sleep to diagnose these things.

This is a little off-topic, but I’m curious about how your stuff is going, Dave. Are you an entrepreneur yet? I hope things are going well! Oh yeah, if you’re going to be talking about Amy in your posts, I think it’s only fair to put up more pictures of her. :P

4. The Power of Choice » The Personal Development Carnival - June 17, 2007 says:

[...] Dave Cheong presents Waking Up Early – 15 Tips That Work posted at Dave Cheong | Engineer to Entrepreneur. [...]

5. hibiscusroto says:

As a recent early-rising convert I can say that these tips are great. Eating a healthy breakfast and a nice, tall cup of coffee first-thing will help the cause too.

6. Tim S says:

These are 2 of my best tricks for as soon as you get up:

1. Get warm. Have warm clothes ready for when you wake up. If you’re cold for very long, you’ll stay tired and will want to go back to sleep.
    2. Turn on a bright light right away. Your body needs to think it’s day. Stare into it if you feel like going back to sleep.

7. John says:

My advice for waking up early is starting out your day by having some morning lovin with your wife/girlfriend. I find this motivates both of us to be excited for the alarm clock to go off and starts out our days with energy. It may sound odd, but try it, it works great.

8. David Suppiger says:

The last years I’ve sleeped in for some times and it was getting harder every day to stay up early. I remembered that as a child I didn’t even use an alarm clock, so I reflected about it and came to the same conclusions as you posted on this site. It really works! But there is one point left, which I found it works well. As you go to bed simply focus on the time you’re going to stay up again. I found als that as I start the day wide awake I’m not so tired and powerless but more happy and productively for the whole day.

9. Mark says:

I’ve been waking up early the past 6 months because I am on an internship (while in college). Here are a few things that have helped me in waking early:

1. I love my job and thus enjoy going to work in the morning.

2. My roommate that I share a room with gets up 15 minutes after me (we only have one shower), so I have to get up so I don’t break into his schedule.

3. I set an obnoxious back-up alarm that is so bad, I dread hearing it.

4. The sun hits our windows in the morning and the shades allow light in starting at about 5am, so by 7, it’s easy to get out of bed because of the blinding solar glare.

5. I have a king-sized memory foam pad folded in half on my twin XL bed. This one is key for a good night’s sleep.

10. webmotion says:

Nothing new for me, but it’s really an A-Z of waking up :)
    A suggestion: try positioning the alarm clock far away from the bad so you can only reach it (and make it stop) if you get out of the bed. Works for me every time.

11. Blog » Blog Archive » says:

[...] Waking Up Early – 15 Tips That Work [...]

12. betadinesutures says:

Good notes. Here’s my trick[s]; I typically go to bed at sometime between 930 and 1100 pm and get up at 330am, I then make my protein shake put in freezer for 1hr, I eat some Cream of Wheat, then jump on the computer, at 430 I grab my protein shake and head of to the Y to lift weights. Many times I can get up without the use of my cell phone alarm, but most times when that happens it’s 230 – 300 am and I figure going back to sleep will make it harder for me to get up.

13. sindhu says:

get a bsnl dataone 500 plan connection, its dreadful happy hours in the wee hours of the morning and monthly limit on quota will put your life in place and waking up early wont be that hard at all ;)

14. Douglas Karr says:

I love the no snooze and get up immediately tips. I’m going to try them tomorrow. I love to stay up late and sleep late. I think my ideal work hours are 11AM to 8PM if I had the freedom to choose. I don’t, though.

Time to go to bed!!!

15. mikegrouchy.com - links for 2007-06-18 says:

[...] Waking Up Early – 15 Tips That Work (tags: blog business health lifehacks list productivity tips work howto) [...]

16. 3greeneggs :: Blogging with Lists (Or, ‘top ten’!) says:

[...] Many of the most popular blog posts seems to come in ordered lists. Today alone, I read: 20 Ways to Use Linkedin Effectively, Waking Up Early: 15 Tips that Work, 20 Firefox Extensions that will Save You Money, and, of course, Lifehacker’s Top 10 Roundup. [...]

17. Steve Miller’s Web Sites of Interest » links for 2007-06-18 says:

[...] Waking Up Early – 15 Tips That Work (tags: article blog brain business career gtd guide health motivation howto tips lifehacks sleep productivity) steve on June 17th, 2007 | Filed under | [...]

18. Time to go to bed « Wisdom of a Wombat says:

[...] In my mindless surfing, I fired up NetNewsWire to check my feeds. I came across this post. I must tell you that I enjoy reading Dave Cheong. The part of his post that is the “duh” factor: [...]

19. KeeZBlogged » My life got F5′d (of appeltje+R) says:

[...] Oh de tip van de week : Hoe motiveer ik mezelf uit bed te komen, 15 tips Bookmark to: [...]

20. marius says:

Drinking lots of water or tea before bedtime helps enormously, too, because you just *have* to get up.

Hi Jamy,

Thanks for posting a comment and I hope these new tips give you additional ammunication. Check back in later and let me know how you get on.

Hi Jennifer,

Hahaha. I wish I knew that secret. Would love to hear from anyone capable of helping with young babies settle and sleep uninterrupted!

Hi Ryan,

Great to hear from you again and to see you\’re still monitoring my feeds despite a year of erratic posting.

Sorry to hear you have sleep apnea, but your comment is helpful for others who may suffer from the same condition. For anyone out there, if you are unsure or believe you have a similar condition, I guess you should see a doctor and get medical help.

As for your other comment, mum\’s the word right now. But I\’ll give hints in subsequent postings. There are a few exciting developments, but I\’m not quite ready to share yet… :)

And I totally agree about your comment regarding Amy\’s pics. Stay tuned.

Hi Tim S,

Interesting tips. Thanks for dropping by and leaving a comment.

I’ll make sure I get warm tomorrow morning and see if it does help. As for the light, it’s a good tip. I sit at my desk as soon as I wake up and I think the light and mental stimulation work well in waking me up.

John,

Thanks for the tip! I’m not sure if I can get my wife to accommodate though!

26. Rezept für einen schönen Tag | yazmen.de says:

[...] Den kompletten Artikel inkl. aller Begründungen gibt es auf http://www.davecheong.com. Rezept für einen fröhlichen Tag 1 Tasse freundliche Worte 2 Tassen (gehäuft) Verständnis 4 kl. Löffel (gehäuft) Zeit und Geduld Eine Prise herzliche Persönlichkeit Ein spritzer Humor [...]

David Suppiger,

Thanks for dropping by and leaving a comment. I do the same each night by crystallising the reason for getting up the night before as I wind down. By going though all the things I want to get done the next morning, I keep all that drive and motivation fresh when the alarm goes off the next day.

Hope the other tips are useful for you also.

28. Challenge #13: Adopt an Early-to-Bed Early-to-Rise Sleep Schedule « Personal Challenge says:

[...] Here are two articles (both from the same source) that might help with establishing an early wake up time: Waking up Early and Consistently, Waking Up Early – 15 Tips That Work. [...]

29. Trevor Hill says:

The only thing that works for me is having a virtual assistant in India who calls me and asks me questions until I’m out of bed. I have struggled with this ever since high school. This is the only thing that has worked, and I am so psyched that it’s working. I get up at 5:30am every weekday now, regardless of how much I’ve slept.

I’ve also found that I do better with a bit less sleep than I think I need, i.e., 5 to 5.5 hours.

30. Matt Landau says:

Tip #10, have something to look forward to, has inspired me to not read emails from my friends until the next morning.

31. Dan says:

This is something I’ve wanted to do for quite a while. I hit the snooze button at least 3 times each morning. – - The reward tip for me is the best. Now I have to find something cool to do every morning so I have something to wake up for…

Thanks. Quite inspirational. :)

32. Found in the Woods » Be an early riser says:

[...] http://www.davecheong.com/2007/06/15/waking-up-early-15-tips-that-work/  [...]

33. syahid ali says:

better buy an alarm clock WITHOUT a snooze button.

34. Ghass says:

Hi Dave
    This is a wonderful blog that you have.
    I found that the more I feel good about myself, the more I take action and be active in my life, then the more I get up early.
    I used to live a life without a purpose, and I was feeling lack of energy, and i was always waking up late, going to work late, and going to bed late, wasting my time watching TV or surfing the net without a true purpose.
    The time I started to feel better about myself, and take more action in my life, i started to spend my time better, and wake up early.

Hi Trevor Hill,

Great idea. I’ve been reading a bit about outsourcing our lives and getting a virtual assistant from India. It’s an interesting way to live. We get to free up our time to work on things which are more “important” or worthwhile.

Thanks.

Dan,

You’re welcomed! Thanks for dropping by and I hope you can become an early riser yourself.

Good luck,

Ghass,

You’re absolutely correct here. Every aspect of our lives are intertwined. What we do, how we react and what we feel are all linked up. This is why we have to focus on positives, engage ourselves in meaningful activities, be goal-oriented etc.

Life is too short to waste. Find your purpose. Start a project. Be productive.

38. Jason Macemore » Blog Archive » Rising struggle says:

[...] I’ve been struggling to get up as of late. It’s something that’s very unusual for me, as I’m typically a morning person. I’ve tried lots of things, but I recently discovered these 15 tips. [...]

39. ventasEnInternet.com » 15 tips para madrugar says:

[...] El post completo de Dave está aquí. [...]

40. Daily Horoscope Ranking 2007 June 21 Thursday | horoscope.tesnique.net says:

[...] Today’s lucky web page is Waking Up Early – 15 Tips That Work [...]

41. Jim C. says:

An important element in maintaining an early rising schedule: you must keep the same hours on the weekends. This may cramp your social life, but there are tradeoffs in everything. :)

42. 15 tips for waking up early « ialas says:

[...] June 18, 2007 at 11:16 pm · Filed under Educational I just started a new job, and I’ve had to learn how to wake up early, now that I start at 7:30am with an hour-long commute. Accustomed to starting my days at noon, this has been a challenge, to put it mildly. Luckily, I found these 15 tips to assist my change of habits. Here are my favorites: Have a good reason to get up. I’ve found this to be the single most important element in being an early riser. Days in which I did not crystallise the reasons for getting up were more likely to result in sleep ins. Now, I make it clear the night before what it is I want to wake up early for. Initially, I found writing things down to be helpful, but this isn’t always necessary, as long as it is clear what the reasons are. [...]

43. Too Far North says:

Tips to wake up early…

I know I’m not the only one with this problem. I just can’t seem to get myself out of bed in the mornings.
    On the few days that I have managed to wake up early, I’ve been astounded at the amount of stuff I can get done before I need to start worryin…

44. Izz says:

Hey Dave. Great insight. You hit the mark. A lot of us still battle that sleep bug and it embraces us as much as we embrace it. I’m currently winning the battle and it feels good to be on the way to winning especially when the rewards are already being felt. It is working so much that my quality of life and focus has improved a lot that i changed the theme of my blog to personal development and empowerment: http://www.izzonline.blogspot.com

I will come back here often.

45. Coder Journal » Blog Archive » Waking Up Early - 15 Tips That Work says:

[...] David Cheong, a fellow software developer, has some very good tips for how to wake up early on his blog. I personally use half of them to get my self out of bed in the morning. The most important one that I use is: I’ve found this to be the single most important element in being an early riser. Days in which I did not crystallise the reasons for getting up were more likely to result in sleep ins. Now, I make it clear the night before what it is I want to wake up early for. Initially, I found writing things down to be helpful, but this isn’t always necessary, as long as it is clear what the reasons are. [...]

46. Tommy says:

Great advice Dave. I started waking up at 5am everyday since I had class at 7:30am 5 days a week. I have to drive for 1 hour to get there (I work about 5 mins away from the school so I had to go down there anyway).

Having the class that early definitely got my ass out of bed on time almost everyday (with a lot of help from the alarm clock).

Now, I think I will continue the routine after the summer is over and get out of the house everyday by about 6am and most likely continue taking classes at the community college before work (probably some exercise classes too….like tennis or something so I don’t have to pay for a gym).

47. Estrafalarius — Despertar temprano, 15 tips que funcionan says:

[...] Cada punto está desarrollado en inglés en la página de Dave. [...]

48. purplebar says:

20 office tips to get, keep, use and abuse power (part 1)…

I am by no means an expert when it comes to psychology and manipulation. But somehow I always get asked on how I managed to do certain things, why so-and-so is so nice to me or why I am close to certain people and not to others.
    I’ll try to make …

49. Chris Blackwell says:

Great post Dave! I will be implementing all your tips and advice as I try to wake myself up at 5:30 everyday, hopefully even earlier after a while. Cheers!

50. Matthijs Roumen says:

I haven’t read anything about nutrition, an important factor when it comes to sleaping effectively.

Make sure you have a small meal (glass of milk and a piece of fruit for instance) 1 hour before you sleap. Don’t eat anything between the time of going to bed and a hour before. It’s really hard to sleep with a full or an empty stomach.

51. How To Become a Morning Person : Tinkr.net says:

[...] Last week I saw a link on Lifehacker to a site that has 15 tips on waking up early. I agree with all of them, and use most of them. Now you have no reason to hate getting up early. 1. Have a good reason to get up. 2. Be productive in the mornings. 3. Get enough sleep. 4. Go to bed earlier. 5. Sleep more effectively. 6. No more another 10 mins. 7. Jump out of bed. 8. Use an alarm clock, just not the snooze. 9. Establish a stable routine. 10. Have something to look forward to. 11. Be aware of the consequences. 12. Remove the option completely. 13. Have a similarly motivated buddy. 14. Keep track of your times. 15. Review all the things you got done. [...]

52. Project Armannd » How to wake up early says:

[...] Waking up early is good because it gives you an extra quiet time in the mornings, before the day officially starts. The list contains 15 tips. I’ve selected only the most efficient ones. [...]

53. Organize IT Recap 23rd June 2007 » Advice on organized and productive living through lifehacks and GTD » Organize IT says:

[...] Getting up early is generally regarded as an important aspect of being truly productive. I’ve tried it and am still reserving judgement but if you need any help becoming an early riser check out this 15 point guide. [...]

54. Ashish says:

Somehow none of these worked for me. I would wake up, go out of bedroom but then get back to bed giving myself many genuine looking reasons. What works sometimes is, if I have something exciting to check e.g. I did a post last night and I am excited to hear how well readers reacted to it….so excitement in hope for achievement, was the key.

55. Tyler says:

Be careful about the jumping out of bed. I jumped out of the bed so fast one morning, the blood going to my head couldn’t keep up and I just collapsed like a sack. Other than that, great list!

56. My Get Things Done List » Blog Archive » Organize IT Recap 23rd June 2007 [Organize IT] says:

57. miki eto’s memo » 早起きに有効な15の秘訣 says:

[...] Waking Up Early – 15 Tips That Work [...]

58. Alestor says:

I simply put my alarm clock where I cannot reach it. In fact I have a bed/desktop bunk with my bed, obviously, on the top. That way I have to get down to turn off my alarm :)

59. betty says:

Few months back while searching googles for ” time managing tips” sumhow i got to get in to your blog…! i found it really interesting..Almost every article is perfect.i have read some of your pages twice and even more ….!while reading i kept on appreciating you…later on just thought would notify you about it… So keep the great work goin on! looking forward for new posts more often …Thank you

60. sam says:

1. alarm clock should sound at night, for sleep time
    2. in the mornings, somehow block yourself from looking at the time until you know you’re up

61. My del.icio.us bookmarks for June 21st through June 26th at Discovering my World… says:

[...] Waking Up Early – 15 Tips That Work – [...]

62. Loren says:

Here’s something that works very well for me the past few nights – including for getting me to wake up, truly wake up, early and happily, which I have not often done as an adult – and which could very well be done year-round where I live (in a city in the desert):

Sleep outdoors.

63. pburin22 says:

Waking Up Early – 15 Tips That Work is good Article

I love my job and going to work in the early morning ….

64. blog.vagamente.net » Blog Archive » Il mattino ha l’oro in bocca. Il mattino ha l’oro in bocca. Il mattino ha l’oro in bocca. Il mattino ha l’oro in bocca. Il mattino ha l’oro in bocca. says:

[...] Da queste parti, complice le segnalazioni di Lifehacker (indubbiamente attualmente la lettura quotidiana imprescindibile per tematiche, quantità di informazioni, approccio, idea imprenditoriale etc…), ci si sta particolarmente appassionando al tema del “svegliarsi presto”, al punto da cominciare a mettere in pratica un po’ di suggerimenti. [...]

65. Maurice says:

Well, my experience in waking up early might be a little different from what you suggest Dave, but it works for me REALLY well:
    My alarm clock has the optiono to wake me up with a song that I choose. So I program a VERY nice-happy song to wake up.
    Because the BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP makes me want to… wake up not very glad, and the song just comes into my mind and makes me smile.
    You have to change every now and then though.
    It’s less aggressive but… try it!

66. » Blog Archive » Early riser says:

[...] Anyone who knows me very well knows that I am a professional night owl.  I don’t like to get up early, I love the wee hours – before I go to bed.  I have never experienced “waking up and can’t go back to sleep.”  So this is all coming out of some sort of conviction… or something.  A couple of weeks ago, I came across this blog about waking up early – since then I’ve been trying to do this more. (I’ve found tip #7 “Jump out of bed” most helpful.) I also came upon this book excerpt about becoming a morning person. Some interesting thoughts if this idea appeals to you at all. [...]

67. Sensate says:

Good article. I just ran across a new watch that fits in with the theme of your article that some of your readers might find useful.

Try here: http://www.gearlive.com/index.php/news/article/sleeptracker-watch-review-03221147/

68. Hickram says:

TRIED IT ALL BUT YOU’RE JUST TOO TIRED? TAKE HEED.

I learned recently that my extreme morning fatigue was due to Sleep Apnea, a condition that is far more serious than I thought. Sleep apnea causes you to stop breathing while asleep, robbing your body of oxygen and leading to decreased brain function, compromised metabolism and weight gain, and greatly increased risk of heart attack, stroke and high blood pressure.

Consider the info, below, on sleep apnea and the benefits of treating it. And, if you’ve tried all of these excellent suggestions, _run_ to the nearest sleep clinic for a diagnosis.

*Nearly 40% of men treated for sleep apnea lose significant weight after beginning the treatment.
    *Sleep apnea is highly correlated with erectile dysfunction.
    *A healthy male in his mid-30’s with untreated sleep apnea has the heart attack risk of a 55 year old, the risk of high blood pressure of a 60+ year old, and the stroke risk of a 65 year old.

69. » Acordar cedo: como criar o hábito e ganhar mais tempo em seu dia-a-dia - Efetividade.net says:

[...] O artigo “Waking Up Early – 15 Tips That Work“, de Dave Cheong, tem boas dicas adicionais, além das mencionadas acima, que você pode adaptar à sua rotina. [...]

70. oleszka says:

Hm very interesting!
    “The trick with the alarm clock is to make it loud, annoying and not easily accessible. Try placing it away from arms reach, so that you can’t turn it off or get to the snooze button unless you get up out of bed.”
    It really works! And you know HOW I hate my alarm clock at this time????!!!! I am ready to break it :)

71. Vibhor says:

Thanks for your tips, i got up three days in row at 5AM
    I am extremely happy and will continue.

72. No name for this post! « I think. says:

[...] Jun 22nd, 2007 by pramodp I have been looking at the blank text box for quite some time. What do I write about ? How do I find something to blog about everyday! Do I write a review of the movie I saw today ? I dont think so. Shooter was good , but i dont think I can write a post about it. Do I write about my plans to blog daily? Well, it is too early to confidently say I would stick to this routine. Do I ctrl-c ctrl-v some good stuff that came on to my Google Reader? I am too lazy to do that. By the way do checkout this  for 15 tips for waking up early. Do I list out the happenings of the day? Who the hell would be interested in that! I feel when i dont have anything intelligent to say I better shut up! Oops.. I see I made a post out of nothing! I am off to sleep. Let me try and see if I can wake up with the sun tomorrow. [...]

73. Balayyar says:

Nice article though I disgree with #7, its very unhealthy..any physiotherapist or Yoga master would tell you.

74. Op tijd op staan » lifehacking.nl says:

[...] Conclusie Vroeg opstaan is niet easy, zeker niet voor de luie student die het liefst tot 11 uur in bed ligt. Zorg voor consistentie, routine en een goed bed. Het is ook erg belangrijk om het vol te houden, stop je na een paar dagen en ga je weken erna er weer mee verder, dan is het stukken moeilijker om weer in het ritme te komen. Heb je het ritme eindelijk goed, zorg er dan voor dat je in het ritme blijft. Als je goed in het ritme zit zal je merken dat je meer gedaan krijgt en de kwaliteit van je leven verbetert! Dit artikel is een vrije vertaling van Dave Cheong’s Waking Up Early; 15 tips that work en gepubliceerd met toestemming van de auteur. Stem of voeg toe(?): Comment RSS feed [...]

75. Annie says:

Here are some other things that work.
    (1) Set up systems that counteract your sleepy natural habits…. E.g. If one clock doesn’t work, set two clocks 1/2 an hour apart.
    (2) Put your alarm clocks in the bathroom, so you’ll have to get out of bed and go to the bathroom to switch them off.
    (3) Once you’re in the bathroom, wash your eyes out with warm water or wet a hand towel with hot water and wipe your face with it. It feels wonderful and gets you awake. (4) Morning time is very limited and not very productive so keep everything ready the day before…clothes, socks & shoes, purse, book bag, gym bag, bills, list of calls to be made, list of lunchtime errands etc.
    (5) Keep things ready when you get home in the evening instead of late at night because later at night you might forget, or be too tired, or fall asleep accidentally on the couch before it is done.
    (6) Whatever can go into your car the day before should be placed there, so even if you forget it in the morning, it travels with you in the car to work.
    (8) Get an early riser buddy to give you a wake up call in the morning and keep you on the phone till you started brushing your teeth. You may need your buddy’s help for 5-6 days until your internal body clock gets caught up. Then don’t forget to buy your buddy lunch one day for helping you out.

76. Cool skills to learn/Habits to form for personal development – Rising Early « Father sez…… says:

[...] d) Dave Cheong’s Waking Up early – 15 Tips that work,   [...]

77. Annie Newton says:

Here are some other things that work.
    (1) Set up systems that work around your sleepy natural habits…. E.g. If one clock doesn’t work, set two clocks 1/2 an hour apart.
    (3) Once you’re in the bathroom, wash your eyes out with warm water or wet a hand towel with hot water and wipe your face with it. It feels wonderful and gets you feeling fresh and awake.
    (7) Keep the bedroom temperature warm and toasty so you won’t feel the need to go back under the covers in the morning.
    (9) Once you’re up, don’t go near anything that’ll get you distracted from the task of being at work on time – no TV, no music, no web surfing, no answering cell phone calls…etc. I still struggle during cold winter mornings but I’m a lot better now…. J The only days I’m on time to work the entire week is when I’ve done all of the above.
    How do I battle the days when I feel like crap and don’t care how late I am? Or forget what time my first meeting is?

78. Indu says:

Hi Dave,

Many thanks for your tips. This is the biggest challenge that am facing in life now – getting up early! I set the alarm for 5.15 and then it’s a war in bed! Finally, am out of bed at 6.30. It leaves me guilty and groggy :-( But am gonna try you ‘no snooze’ tip. I shall definitely let you know how am doing. Now that’s an action point on me, and I’d better get up!

Best regards,
    Indu

79. Justin says:

Dave,

Thanks for the tips. I’ve got a question… My wife has trouble falling back to sleep if I wake up using an alarm. I try to wake up early naturally, but find that I am not consistent yet. Do you have any suggested alternatives to an alarm clock? Should I put an “in-ear” headphone in one ear and plug it into an iPod-type device? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

80. Lee Yong Hui says:

hi! thanks for your guide. it really helped me alot. i would post the URL of this guide in my blog to promote early rising.

81. navtej kohli says:

I was searching for this kind of a blog for months now. Actually lost the hope of finding one, but here I am :) Thanks for the great suggestions! Looking forward for a little read after dinner :)

82. Dicas para acordar cedo « Espaço Aberto says:

83. Great Sales Habits - Waking Up Early says:

[...] If you find our posts useful, don’t forget to subscribe to our RSS Feeds or Email UpdatesToday is Monday – and with that, we’re starting up the 6th full working week of 2008.Over the weekend, I came across an older post by Dave Cheong on his personal blog. While Dave is a software engineer, his productivity tips apply to most of us in the sales profession as well.In his post, Dave talked about how waking up early has made a huge difference in his life. I can see how that could easily be the case for him. But when you think about it, it really could apply to us too.In sales, where we’re sometimes away from the office for days or weeks, it’s very easy to fall back to unproductive habits. The habit of going to bed late, for instance. And related to that, the habit of just waking up a bit later in the morning than we should.With your management a couple of hundred miles or a timezone away or no one in your office to check up on you, who is going to notice – right?Well, someone will.For starters YOU will. In your commission check at the end of the month. Perhaps followed by an uncomfortable 1:1 with your manager, a conversation with your spouse or whoever else that has a stake in your business and financial success.Quiet, early mornings are a great way to start your day. Have a cup of coffee, check your email, get some lingering items out of the way so you can work on the activities that make you money during work hours. Or did you think your customers and competitors are sleeping in as well?Working from home isn’t easy and it requires a pretty good amount of self-discipline for it to work. Read Dave’s post and put some of his suggestions to work every day. I particularly like #13, try that one with some of your peers. I think it’ll pay off in spades.Any other habits worth sharing? Post them in the comments! [...]

84. Waking Up Early « life…oh! life… says:

[...] I searched the web for “waking up early” (Googling about anything under the sun is my favourite pastime. I discover and learn many things from various people around the globe just by clicking. Isn’t it great?!)…and so I found and got struck by this meme: Waking Up Early. I soooo agree with him when he said:  [...]

85. James Stafford says:

Hey,
    I have had a problem with sleeping in a lot and have found this article very useful. This week is going to be week one of trying to wake up early and I’m taking these tips to heart.
    Thanks for the suggestions!

86. AXA says:

I was searching for sleeping websites and found this one by mistake. it is interesting but I hope someone can help me with my problem: It seems that to get good sleep and to be energized you have to be comfortable in your own bed. Well here lies my problem, I work in a company where I am required to travel a lot (for meetings, negotations… with suppliers). I spend 3-4 days out of the country sleeping at hotels and connecting more than 2 flights per day sometimes, and its been months since I slept in my own bed, as whenever I am back from business I sleep at girlfriend’s place. I had been doing it for some time now, at first I didn’t have a problem. But for the past weeks I simply find it REALLY hard to get out of bed. I am not sure what to do or how to fix it. I simply am at point where getting out of bed is the most difficult thing to do, and finally when I push myself I am getting tired during the day, whether waiting for a flight at some airport or in a meeting room where I can no longer consentrate !!!!

87. Study Skills Blog » Blog Archive » Another Way To Study Smarter And Be A Better Learner says:

[...] Also, there had been many researches that waking up early boosts productivity  because you can make your day longer and can accomplish many things in one day. And it is always nice to wake up without the need to rush to school, isn’t it? If you wake up early, you can even devote some of your time to give yourself extra meditation and eat enough breakfast.  Check out this website  that provides valuable information and tips about waking up early. [...]

88. Dan Gtdagenda says:

Great tips, especially number 2. It’s so true: How you start the day, is how you end the day.

Dan

89. How to get up early when partner does not | pantsonfaster.com says:

[...] In this post I’m going to take a simple example. I’ve read plenty of posts about why any self-respecting achiever should get up early to make the most of the day. See for example Steve Pavlina, Zen Habits and Dave Cheong. [...]

90. Four (or Five!) Reasons Why » ….Getting Up Early is Good says:

[...] For advice on how to get up early, head on over to Steve Pavlina as well as Dave Cheong, who offers 15 tips that work. [...]

91. David Cheong says:

Thanks for sharing a good tips. :) It really work out well base on your tips. But always end up roll here and there.

92. Samai says:

Thank you so much for this article! I have such a hard time getting up early in the morning, I am going to try some of these tips (b/c some I’ve already tried and err… I’m still Zzzzzzzzz). I will let you know how it goes! *hugz*

~Samai

93. Getting Up Early | SISTERWISDOM says:

[...] Dave Cheong: If you don’t get up early you’re wasting a lot of time. You should get up early. [...]

94. The Early Bird Gets Ahead. « PR PRep says:

[...] Waking Up Early – 15 Tips That Work by blogger Dave Cheong explores the best recomendations for greeting the day early enough to catch the witty banter on first hour of the Today Show. Here are the five best tips. [...]

95. 3 things to do instead of hitting the snooze button » Ali Bytes » byte-sized strategies for modern living says:

[...] Did you know that most snooze buttons let you sleep for only 9 more minutes? Here are a few of the many theories on why this arbitrary number. I’ve recently read a few articles on why it actually makes much more sense to get up as soon as your alarm goes off, and that the extra 9 (or 4 or 17) minutes really do you no good. Here are a few things you could do in those 9 minutes that might be more beneficial. For some useful tips on waking up early, check out these posts by Dave Cheong or Steve Pavlina. [...]

96. mithun narendran says:

it was very intersting. your idea is superb and cool
    thanks for the experience you shared…

mithun narendran

97. Acordar cedo: como criar o hábito e ganhar mais tempo « Produtividade Pessoal says:

98. Sete dicas para acordar mais cedo com efetividade : Blog do véi says:

99. drew tarvin blog | Stop Hitting Snooze and Wake Up Early says:

[...] Commit. Perhaps the strongest driver this past week was committing to waking up.  I wish I could pretend that my discipline is so great that I just committed it internally to myself and that was enough, but it’s not.  I committed to it as a project, which means if I fail it, I owe someone $100.  I also committed to a friend, who decided to wake up at 6am as well.  Each morning we IMed each other at 6am to prove that we were both up, realizing that we’d call each other out if we didn’t wake up at that time.  Money and friendly challenges can be motivating factors. [...]

100. Time Management Links/Information « Jo Doran, M.F.A. says:

[...] “Waking Up Early – 15 Tips That Work” [...]

101. turn my swag on. « RitualsofChloe says:

[...] i woke up this morning. hit the snooze thrice times, then looked at chloe, my 1 yr old baby, and realized that she was anxious to go to the bathroom. why cant she use the toilet yet? [...]

102. AH says:

I wake up and put my headphones on and listen to trance music for 30 minutes. The thumpin’ fast paced beats make it impossible to fall back asleep and it allows for a smooth transition between sleep and awake. I highly disagree with “jumping out of bed” as this jolts the heart.

103. frankandjavi says:

I wanted to comment about waking up early in the morning. One thing that helps you wake up early is to not to consume alcohol at a (hammered) level the night before. I believe there are nine stages of sleep. Getting hammered will prevent you from going through these stages completely.

104. Eric says:

Great article!, I really appreciate the time you put in to write this, Iv been trying to get up early for a bit now, and these tips are already getting me more motivated.

105. hihi says:

awesome! i am going 2 tr it 2day!!! b4 i could barely wake up at8, now i think i willwake up at 5 or 4!!!!!!!!
    thank you advice man!

106. RACHELJBHFG. says:

when i need to wake up, i usually set my alarm, and when it goes off i usually scream, “OH HEELLLLL YA!!” over and over till i feel fully awake! and then i dance around into the kitchen. i usually try to eat a full 5 cups of plain oats every morning to help me survive the hard day that lies ahead. when i begin to feel tired, i just tell myself how perky i look, and i suddenly feel wide awake! and if that doesn’t work, i’ll usually just go to da club and take a few shots of H20. holla!

107. Wake Up Early In The Morning - David Hawe says:

I have just wrote an article on this.

108. John says:

i did all that and its worked most of it thanks a lot but i’m still have a problem with sleeping early cause my job ends at the end ot the night and starts 11 am

109. #33. Wake up 30 minutes earlier during the week. « Jenny from the Farm says:

[...] I’ve found some tips on ways to wake up early.  They sound reasonable, but I’m not sure they will help, as I am really a bear in the mornings.  But, I’m going to give them some serious consideration. [...]

110. Ashley cutcher says:

dude!!!!!!!! omg this thing helped me sooo much! because i had to be at school by 7 15, and i get home tonight at 9! boy! this thing helped me! thanxxxx!

111. Srinivas says:

I have been getting up at 3:30AM in the morning everyday and let me tell you, the biggest motivator to get up early is to have a solid reason. If this is not there, all the other steps may work for a certain amount of time but won’t work in the long run. I’m FULLY occupied from 3:30 until 9:00AM. I try to go to bed by 9 or 9:30 at the latest. I’ll add one more thing. If your reason to get up is anything other than spiritual, you will most certainly not keep up the early rising.

Hare Krishna Hare Krishna Krishna Krishna Hare Hare
    Hare Rama Hare Rama Rama Rama Hare Hare

112. Noufa says:

I was looking for an artical that gives advice for waking up early. I have had a 3 month holiday and during that time I always woke-up at noon, then i started college where my first class was at 1:30pm and I always sleept late and i would wake up at 12pm.

Now in my second semster my first class is going to be at 8am. This means i have 2 be up by at least 7. This is a big difference!!

Now im practising your method and its working. Only one thing i can’t sleep early but i still walk up early tired but i still get out of bed becuase i have so much work to do!

thanx for the help!!

113. woundedduck says:

If you don’t have anything to get up for, I say enjoy the extra sleep. Screw all this Protestant-work-ethic crap.

114. Electronic Cigarette says:

Thanks for the tips. I can definitely use them since I love to sleep!

115. Joey Cohen says:

Hey Dave,

Thanks for the post. I just stumbled across your blog by doing a Google search on “staying focus”. I thought your advice was great and I will try to implement it asap.

Question:
    Do you have any tips on staying focused when someone is talking to you? When I’m not so interested in the topic, I start phasing out.

Keep up the great work.

Thanks,

Joey

116. The Best of What’s Around: Becoming an Early Bird Edition - The 2.0 Life says:

[...] Dave Cheong – "Waking Up Early – 15 Tips That Work" [...]

117. Getting up for an early brain stretch « ISANGPLATITONGNIPS atbp. says:

[...] Comment! read his post on waking up earlyClick this banner to read Dave’s article on useful tips [...]

118. isangplatitongnips says:

Hi, Dave!

You have lots of good insights in this page of yours.

Now, I just posted a “getting up early” sort of blog myself so I do hope you don’t mind me linking your entry to mine.

Many people could use your tips, you know! ;) Have a great day!

119. Jayden Lawson says:

AWESOME post!! You’ve confirmed many things in this one post that I have heard or read about for years, but never have I seen them all in the one, easy-to-read format. It’s simple!! I’m setting my alarm to wake me at 5.30am tomorrow morning… and I’m putting it well away from my bed!

120. David says:

Hi!

Am actually writing this at 07:23, although this is my sixth day of getting up at 6 am instead of the usual 7:30 with half hour to spare to get ready for work and leave by 8 on weekdays, and anywhere up to midday – 1:00 on weekends… Finding it very challenging to get up though, especially as to how dark it is and my body tries to convince itself theres no point being up yet. Found your information very useful however… just wondering how long it took you to get into a comfortable swing of things? – Dave

121. New York Computer Repair says:

I’ve tried most of the things on this list, but few were very effective for me. Now, I get out of bed every morning before 6:30am, because I have a VERY large dog who demands breakfast at this time :)

122. Celes | The Personal Excellence Blog says:

Hey Dave! I just started the habit of waking early lately and I found your tips helpful. Thanks for these! I wrote on my blog about my experience switching from a late riser to an early riser and reasons why I decided to stay an early riser. Bottom line, there are clear benefits from being an early riser, such as the peace and serenity, cutting down on commuting time, clarity in mind, etc. http://celestinechua.com/blog/2009/08/why-i-wake-up-early-and-9-reasons-you-should-do-so-too/ .

123. On a Personal Note… « Politics of Fashion says:

[...] I was inspired by Dave Cheong, and his waking up early to get more stuff done. Anyone want to be a wake up buddy? Filed under: Uncategorized   |  Leave a Comment [...]

124. How to Stop Hitting Snooze and Wake Up Early | Humor That Works says:

[...] Commit. Perhaps the strongest driver for me when I first started was committing to waking up. I wish I could pretend that my discipline is so great that I just committed it internally to myself and that was enough, but it’s not. I committed to it as a project, which meant if I failed, I owed someone $100. I also committed to a friend, who decided to wake up at 6am as well. Each morning for that first week, we IMed each other at 6am to prove that we were both up, realizing that we’d call each other out if we didn’t wake up at that time. Money and friendly challenges can be motivating factors. [...]

125. Amit says:

Thanks for the nice article. Actually these things are much common and known but usually we do not care about such things…:)
    I have a strange stuff..usually i wake up early on the weekends but found it difficult to do same in weekdays :)

126. Jobeanie123 says:

I sleep really tucked in and warm, but my alarm clock is one that rings , not just a speaker, so it is annoying. I have it next to the door, and i am always ready to get warm. Also , it really helps not just to turn on a light, but turn on a bright light! (e.g. look into a flashlight for 1/4 of a second)
    Take cold shower in the morning… it tenses your muscles and wakes you up.
    Before you go to bed, if you have to take a shower, take a hot shower. Also sleep with a fan on to drown out the other noises. After a while, it seems like the fan is not there, do try turning it up. I always have my fan on 3 (HI) and i can hardly notice it now. Also … think of nothing, dont think to hard or you think of trying to not think… then you stay awake. and remember to breath crisp air, so dont sleep with your head under your blanket, unless your mouth is out breathing nice fresh air. And like Dave said, get stuff prepared when you go to bed.
    Dont watch TV or use computer more than an hour before going to bed like i am now, because it is flashing rapildy and it keeps you awake longer. Dont use a night light unless it is red, or an Indiglo. If it is bright in your room when you sleep, your eyes try to focus and it strains them. for some people, it helps to be under a lot of blankets, just as long as you stay cool, because night is for cooling down your body, and in the summer, unless you have A/C, it keeps you awake long!
    That is about all i have to say, Thanks DAVE!

127. 100 All-Time Best Ways to Hack Your Workday - Career Overview says:

[...] Get up when your alarm goes off: Don’t kid yourself about wanting an extra 10 minutes. Before you know it, 10 has turned into 20 or 30, and then you’re late. [...]

128. keeru says:

hey,i am glad to know that these many people want to get up early(that brought them here,to this website)i am one such girl.unknowingly,i did try all the tips.and they really work!!thanx for reminding them dave!!

129. Ishwar Jha says:

Superb article. Also waking up early gives you fresh energy as you see the rising sun… Read the following blog post to get to know the procedure for waking up early: http://www.everydayindianwisdom.com/did-you-say-good-morning-to-yourself-today

130. ronnie gade says:

those were really cool tips…….for me to be studying engineering i always get up late and my the time i get up i have already missed my train to college…..

now i get up at 4:30 to 5:00 every day just dreaming about the alarm to go on and on….. and suddenly i wake up rush into the bathroom and turn the shower on n with the cold water on my body i shout like hell !!!!…..and this makes me be alert every morning and not to go back to sleep again…….and i really found few of the tips interesting……

131. Work Hard For Your Dreams says:

[...] Upon reflection, I see I’ve had to work harder this year than I’ve had to before. Throughout most of the year, I’ve held 3 “jobs” simultaneously – one full-time contract at the Ministry of Transport, one part-time contract at the St Vincent’s Hospital and finally the tech founder of an online startup. It’s been hectic for sure so it’s a good thing I know how to wake up early consistently. [...]

132. Suzanne says:

But I LOOOOOVE sleep.

Will not be employing these techniques. Thanks anyway.

133. Mahmoud says:

i am waking up at 3 pm and sleep at about 5 am
    my day is black, bad life
    i will try it and i hope to have perfect consequences

134. Claire McFee says:

Love your straight talking tips. Thanks. :)
    I’ve always been a late sleeper but think your advice will help (gradually) change that!
    Claire McFee
    Organize Your Life

135. Sabrina says:

Figured I’d pass along to others having a tough time in the a.m. / I recently started this new personal wake up service called Kick Start pro. So far it’s been great. Think I’ve finally found the secret to getting up early – I have to pay for it! It’s better than paying for all the alarm clocks I’ve broken, I guess. :-)

136. Jacob Zannino says:

I like it very much! Just admirable! Your authorship manner is pleasing and the way you embraced the topic with grace is exemplary. I am intrigued, I assume you are an master on this issue. I am subscribing to your updates from now on.

137. bishal says:

thanks david,it has brought about a change in me,consistency is what i need now

138. Sameh says:

Thanks Dave for this post. I believe that always returning to basics has solutions to many of our problems.

Waking up early is philosophy for living and its has ripple effect on our plans and actions. I feel like early risers have higher urgency on the value of time and they like to see the whole day.

A prominent artist once noted that he works till dawn and wakes-up after 3:00PM. He writes his best songs from 2AM to 4AM. This is unusual life style. A person with his fame and success might justify this life pattern.

We are normally measured based on our productivity based on the how many things get done and quality. Early risers are more geared to be tasks oriented rather than having high creativity job, like this songs’ composer.

139. Jag says:

Good article. Some of the techniques you mentioned are solid. I would like to add one more here

140. syrex314 says:

Dave,

Thanks for the great article! It’s made a huge difference for me. After I graduated high school, I started sleeping in until noon every day, and have been fighting the habit for the last ten years. Now over the last two weeks I’ve been enjoying a dramatic improvement.

What I’ve found most helpful is to:
    1) Have one quiet alarm in my bedroom, and place a second loud alarm set for 10 minutes later in another room. That way I’m not annoyed by the first alarm, and have to get up to disable the loud alarm before it goes off.

2) Do something productive in the morning! I have a half million little projects that are fun but don’t have to be done. The early morning is perfect for those.

141. thesimplerlife.net » Blog Archive » simple saturday links 1/30/10 says:

[...] davecheong.com: waking up early, 15 tips that work- I’m a big proponent of waking early (although, I haven’t been doing a good job of it lately). This is a great list of 15 tips that are actually very useful. [...]

142. Jay says:

Thanks for your tips!
    But the moments i can sleep in again, i still like alot…